I have been offering online banjo and fiddle instruction since 2008, and I now teach in this manner on a full-time basis. One-on-one lessons conducted via Skype can be an excellent solution for those who may not have access to a local instructor but are wanting to move forward in a structured way, as well as for those who are drawn to my own musical or pedagogical approach but who may not live within commuting range of me for in-person lessons. Relative newcomers all the way to those who are quite advanced and looking for a new musical direction can benefit from regular, occasional, or one-off Skype lessons.
If in-person instruction is of interest, I also offer intensive day-long or multi-day sessions for players of all levels, in your home or in mine, as well as group workshops in your home or gathering space. These scenarios can be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
For further details, please contact me via email.
- Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer - unparalleled musicians, dear friends, and the producers of my second CD, "Insight"
- Brian Wicklund - bluegrass fiddle player and author of fiddle books, and the producer of my out-of-print first CD, "Intrigue"
- Dakota Dave Hull - "classic American guitar" at its best!
- Midwest Banjo Camp - my favorite banjo camp, held every June near Lansing, Michigan
- American Banjo Camp - a banjo camp in the most sublime natural setting imaginable, near Port Townsend, Washington
- Suwannee Banjo Camp - a fine camp with a friendly flavor near Gainesville, Florida
- The Swannanoa Gathering - the finest of the week-long camps, in my opinion, with an always-great Old-Time Week in addition to several other interesting theme weeks
- Sore Fingers - the premiere European camp for bluegrass and old-time music, always featuring an unbelievably top-flight team of "household name" US instructors
- Native Ground Music - Wayne Erbsen's business; Wayne is a great teacher and the author of "Clawhammer Banjo for the Complete Ignoramus," which I helped edit
INSTRUMENTS / ACCESSORIES
- Enoch Instruments - Kevin is building a fantastic new Dobson banjo model in addition to continuing his unparalleled custom work
- Wayne Sagmoen - a talented maker of cleverly-designed and affordable open-back banjos; one of my very favorite craftsmen (and Wayne's being a fellow Minnesotan is merely icing on the cake!)
- David Hyatt's gourd banjo site - David is a gifted maker of gourd banjos, and a font of knowledge about these instruments
- Bernunzio Vintage Instruments - John and Julie Bernunzio's shop in Rochester, New York is THE source for fine, vintage open-back banjos
- Banjo On My Knee - a fascinating site with numerous photos and thorough descriptions of a banjo collection that contains many spectacular examples of classic five-strings
- Old Groove - a great site that features (along with loads of interesting old-time music links) some of the most creative and well-done t-shirt designs available--all with an old-time bent!
- Heart & Soil - a documentary featuring my music as part of the soundtrack!
- Angel's Perch - a new feature-length film set in West Virginia with traditional and contemporary music by Chris Eldridge, Rayna Gellert, Paul Kowert, Dominick Leslie, Kristin Andreassen, and myself